Well, I finally got around to repacking the hubs on the Schwinn. The wheels seem to rotate a bit smoother now, but only the next long-ish ride will tell if the hubs were a problem.
Or rather, it would if I didn’t go all MVT on this and start changing multiple things at once. When I went to reassemble the bike, I couldn’t resist putting on the fixed cog, so now it’s an overhauled fixed gear. I just had to take it for a quick test ride.
I only went around the block, but it was a bit of an adventure. I coasted for about 20 feet getting out of the alley, which isn’t a good thing if you don’t have a freewheel. The cog wasn’t secured, and unscrewed most of the way, but I spun it back on with the pedals, “floored it” and it seemed pretty secure from then on (once again 270 lbs. mashing on a pedal proves to be some serious mojo — use wisely ). It started feeling more or less natural about the time I pulled back up to the garage. I’ll need to give this ride another try sometime soon.